Hello, friends!
Okay, I'm not going to lie to you; I have purposely
delayed writing this update. Mostly because I had to live out the roller coaster
of emotions in real life before I could lay it out before you here.
As some of you know, we received an e-mail from the
adoption agency several weeks ago explaining that Gregory's region had temporarily
suspended American adoptions pending presidential elections and new adoption treaty
ratification. The agency believed that the country would accept dossiers
again by the end of the month. I did not worry about this for two
reasons:
1. It was a short closure.
2. I believe in God's good and PERFECT
timing.
It's easy to trust in the Lord when you think you
can see the end of the tunnel...
Two weeks later the agency e-mailed again, only this
message contained none of the positive overtures of the first. In essence,
it said that because our legal system had handed down such a light sentence to an
American woman who burned her adopted (from Gregory's country) child,
Gregory's region would no longer work with American agencies. The agency
did not know how long the closure would last. They speculated the region might
open after Gregory's country ratified the treaty, but could not give us a time frame.
Suddenly the short closure became indefinite and the end of the tunnel disappeared.
And I found myself in total darkness.
My first reaction mimicked the one from two weeks before.
God's timing is perfect. I don't need to worry. My second reaction,
not so much.
I woke up the following day GRIPPED with fear. I
started reading about how some people thought it would only be a few months while
others believed it could be years before the region opened up again. Years?
YEARS? YEARS, LORD? REALLY? In my head, I started to add years to
the process, which subsequently added years to Gregory's age. I realized something
I hadn't realized before, that I had a comfort zone when it came to the age of the
child we adopted. For me, in my flesh, my comfort zone is 5. Any
older than that and I worried that we weren't equipped to handle the potential
problems that come with a child plucked from an institution and placed into a family.
Feelings of desperation came next. "Lord," I prayed, "I
am SO READY to be a Mom. I can't wait for years. I don't even think
I can wait months. I want to be a Mom. YESTERDAY." Yeah,
day two wasn't pretty. Thank God for his Grace especially in moments like
these.
The beginning of day three wasn't much better. I think I spent most of the day obsessing over details. I frantically thought "If his country opens up on this
date then we won't get him here until this date but if they open
this date then we probably won't get him here before this date and he'll be this
many years old and what if this happens and what if that happens and what if
they NEVER open up and what if and what if and what if and WHAT IF..."
Man, we have a Gracious God...
Next came my old friends doubt and indecision. I
have been praying throughout this entire process that God would close the door
on Gregory if he is not our son. Was this God closing the door? Were
we meant to pursue another child? Did I misread God's direction when I
told BJ I believed He was calling us to Gregory? I was overwhelmed at the
possibility that God might be saying yes to any of these questions. Lord,
would you have us de-commit to Gregory? Would you have us give him up? Is
he not our son? I couldn't even look at Gregory's picture after
that because the thought of de-committing made me sick. I couldn't stand
to think that Gregory would stay even one day longer in that orphanage because
of ME. I felt so...wrenched.
The end of day three brought a sweet release. An
un-wrenching. I was sitting in my bible study waiting for it to start
when an inexplicable peace washed over me. I say inexplicable not because
I didn't know its source, but because I did nothing to elicit the calm that
overcame me. I didn't feel like going to class, but I went anyway. I
drove to the church, walked in the building, sat down in my seat, and felt the amazing
calming Spirit of a powerful God who is in control of EVERYTHING. I finally
came to grips with a few truths:
1. We didn't have to make an immediate
decision.
2. If God is closing the door on Gregory, He
has something better for him and us.
3. God doesn't call the qualified, He
qualifies the called. (If He calls us to Gregory, He will equip us for Gregory no matter how old he is.) How many times have a I
heard this?? And yet I failed to apply it to this situation!
4. If God calls us to another child, He will
release us from Gregory and we'll know it. This will not be a guessing
game.
I have come to terms with the fact that Gregory may
not be ours and I feel ready to release him should it come down to that, but
that is not what God is telling us to do yet. He's telling us to sit
tight. So here we sit. Ready and willing to do whatever God asks us
to do whenever God asks us to do it.
To all those who have donated or are thinking about
donating, rest assured that WE ARE ADOPTING. Your money WILL help rescue
an orphan! So please don't stop giving.
I will, of course, keep you all updated. The
elections are in three days so we'll see where it goes after that. We are
praying for God's will in our lives, whatever that may be!
Thanks for listening. Talk to you soon!
Love,
Jenn
Sweet Sweet Jenn... I love that your heart is so confident in the Lord. You are so refreshing and I am so blessed to call you friend. I am so thankful that the Lord spoke to you in the midst of your dark moments and brought light and peace to you. I promise, it isn't just for you...it's touched those around you. I am confident he is working ON you and THROUGH you to people in your life. Thank you so much for sharing the grace and mercy of God with others... There is something special in being unashamed to share your weaknesses and hard times in order to make HIS love even that more evident. That takes a bold and strong woman, and believe me, those are two things that are written all over you. He sure did create quite a woman when He was weaving your in your mother's womb... Thank her for bringing you into this world and making hard choices for your sake, and thank your parents for growing you into who you are for loving you without end. My world would be a little less shiny and fun without you in it. I love you, sweet girl. Thank you for being a part of our lives...
ReplyDeleteI know this is all crazy right now, but we're walking in this time with you- don't forget that!!! :)
Jenn, reading all that you wrote gives me so much hope. We are still praying and won't give up. I am so amazed by how much you have grown and all that Jesus has done in your life. You are going to be a wonderful mother. I'm proud of you and love you. God is so good.
ReplyDeleteYou don't know me, but I've loved Gregory on RR ever since he was first listed (and originally listed as "Gage"). I was so happy when I saw he finally had a family!
ReplyDeleteI'm normally just a "lurker" and don't comment on blogs but after reading your post today, I felt I had to share this saying with you. I hope it can be an encouragement to you, as it encouraged me recently. It's a quote from Corrie Ten Boom, and it is: "When a train goes through a tunnel and it gets dark, you don't throw away the ticket and jump off. You sit still and trust the engineer."
I will continue praying for you and Gregory and hope his region opens back up very soon!
Jenn,
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry to hear this!!! I will pray for doors to open for you!
Hi Jenn,
ReplyDeleteMy name is Jessica, and we are about 3/4 of the way through our international adoption. And we live in TX too! (I'm originally from Abilene.) Just reading through, and wanted to let you know we are praying for you. If you have any questions please feel free to reach out...our country is different from yours, but must of the process is the same, so I will do my best. My email address is jessica(dot)vaness(at)gmail.com.
Love,
Jessica
praying for your family - we donated to Gregory's fund when our adoption in Ukraine (thru RR) hit a snag that we could not proceed. We had been blessed with lots of donations thru RR and we donated to Gregory (a few friends have been praying for him since he first was put on the site =)) - anyway - i just want you to know our family is praying for you. Our son is now 5 - adopted from Russia at 14 months - and we feared it would close half way thru our process - sometimes it closes but not for long - keep praying! We made it thru that one - our Ukrainian adoption did not go thru - but as you said 'God had someone better for her and for us' (thankfully we heard our referral was actually adopted) and we were matched with a 'hard to match' little girl in the states who was very close to being placed in foster care - the timing was so very perfect I can only see it as God's perfect timing - i will always miss the little girl we were not matched with but we know God used that situation to bring us to our daughter now.........anyway - I am praying for Gregory and I pray he is YOURS - but it is clear you know God is in control - adoption is hard, but it is so worth it! So many are praying to see him come home to you!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry :(
ReplyDeleteNikki
www.madebynikki.blogspot.com - get your blog designed and support orphans with special needs in India!
Hi there, you don't know me but I did want you to know that I am overjoyed that you are adopting Miles. I saw Miles recently on RR while some friends and I were doing some fundraising, getting kids moved to the sizeable grants page and such. Miles made me stop in my tracks. I saw my little boy in his face. Literally. I think he looks so much like my 14 month old son, Nelson except Miles has dark hair:) I knew he was turnign 3 this month and knew he'd fit in perfectly to bridge the age gap between Nelson and my 5 year old daughter, Maggie. ThenI found out that this region is pretty strict about antidepressant use. Actually I found that out for sure yesterday and was devestated. Truly. I knew, in my heart, that by the time we got ready to commit to adoption, Miles would be home (hopefully) with a new family. But if he wasn't, I wanted him:) I was so angry and bitter yesterday when I found out he and most children in this region would be unavailable to us. And then Andrea at RR told me he had a family! You just have no idea how the hurt in my heart melted away when I heard this. I just couldn't believe it. Not an hour before, I had emailed RR to find out how to be Miles Guardian Angel or sponsor specifically for him to get him home! God's timing is perfect:) having said all that, I still want to be his Guardian Angel and Prayer Warrior. Our family is committed to Miles and your family to ensure he gets home ASAP. I promise, I'm not some weird, scary lady:) But we want Miles in a family, even if it's not ours:) Please be assured we will fundraise and advocate for you all diligently until he gets hoem to you. God bless you and Praise God for giving Miles a family!
ReplyDeleteHi, Brenda!!
DeleteI'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you. We hadn't made our decision about Miles public yet so we were waiting to tell everyone close to us before I could publish your comment! I'm so glad that our commitment helped heal your pain. I'm sorry you had to go through that!!! Thank you for being so excited for us and for committing pray for us and sweet Miles!! I'll keep you posted. We just launched our puzzle fundraiser if you'd like to help!! Let me know. Thank you so so much!!
Jenn